How to Protect Your Family from Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide Abilene, TX

Carbon monoxide is a gas that has no color or odor, but it can be harmful to both humans and animals. It is extremely harmful to people because it’s hard to detect so being aware of ways to stay protected from it can be beneficial for a family in the long run.

Carbon monoxide is often accumulated within a home during the colder months because heaters are constantly running. It is one of the most dangerous gasses that can affect someone. Today, we will discuss how one can protect their family from carbon monoxide.

How to protect your family from carbon monoxide

Ensure that a detector is installed

A carbon monoxide detector can help save a family from carbon monoxide poisoning. It is important that they are placed and installed by or near appliances that are prone to leaking. These detectors do exactly as they sound, they let a person or family know that carbon monoxide is leaking and present in the air.

Place the carbon monoxide detectors away from drafty areas and near bedrooms to ensure that everyone in the family hears them when they go off. They can also be placed on or near the ceiling because hot air that contains CO rises so the detector would catch it near the top of any room.

Keep dryer filters clean

A lot of people may not realize that their dryers can often cause carbon monoxide poisoning because they accumulate lint in the traps. These lint buildups can block the exhaust from flowing properly and then carbon monoxide might be forced out into the home.

Anytime that laundry is done be sure to clean the lint filter out to ensure that nothing builds up.

Stop the leaks

Leaks are the main cause of carbon monoxide being exposed into the air. It is important that any filters in equipment and appliances are checked and inspected often to ensure that there isn’t any damage that may cause leaks.

It is always best to have a professional check the home regularly to ensure that there aren’t any abnormalities that may cause carbon monoxide to leak into the house.

Be aware

Educate everyone within your family about carbon monoxide and the effects of poisoning. It is best that everyone within the family is fully aware of what poisoning can look like and what a person’s symptoms might be. This will ensure that everyone is aware of a possible leak.

Conduct drills so that your family knows what to do if a leak occurs. And, ensure that everyone is aware of the signs so that they can get to a medical professional immediately.

Carbon monoxide leaks can be dangerous and harmful to anyone who is exposed. It is important to be aware of what carbon monoxide poisoning looks like to ensure that everyone in the family is aware of the signs. Be sure to consult with a professional in order to keep your house in a safe condition.

If you have questions about carbon monoxide poisoning and how to keep your family safe from it then reach out to us today. We are happy to answer any questions that you might have, give us a call!

Request an appointment here: https://www.bevillstexas.com or call Bevills Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning at (325) 268-5106 for an appointment in our Abilene office.

Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Read our Yelp reviews.


Recent Posts

Ways To Improve Air Conditioning Efficiency In Your Home

7 Ways To Improve Air Conditioning Efficiency In Your Home

Air conditioning is more than just a luxury for many Americans, especially in the states where summer temperatures can reach into the 100s for weeks at a time. Those high temperatures can stress older people and those with disabilities or even nondisabling health conditions that are normally managed. Keeping your AC running to combat the…

Indoor Air Quality Solutions To Care For Your Air

11 Indoor Air Quality Solutions To Care For Your Air

Indoor air quality has become a serious health concern over the last century as more and more people have begun spending most of their waking hours indoors. Prior to the 20th century, many people spent most of their time outdoors, and when indoors, open windows allowed for fresh air circulation. As homes and businesses installed…