A gas leak at home is not a good thing. Although when installed and used correctly natural gas is convenient, if it is not used carefully, it can be dangerous. Even though natural gas leaks are rare, some signs can indicate a leak has occurred. Read to learn the signs of a gas leak in your household.
Signs of a gas leak
Natural gas is highly combustible, so it can produce a lot of heat when a person burns small amounts. A natural gas leak is dangerous because it can increase the risk of fire and even an explosion especially because it goes up in flame easily and spreads quickly. If a person has a gas leak in the house, a fire source or electric spark can end up igniting the combustion. Every family member should be educated about gas leaks because a leak in and around the house can be dangerous and life-threatening. Here are some signs of a gas leak.
Natural gas has no scent; therefore, a strong odorant is added to make it easier for people to detect possible leaks. If there is a gas leak in the house, a person may notice the smell of rotten eggs or sulfur. A gas leak may be near the water heater, stove, or other appliance. A person should check the burners on a stove to ensure they are completely turned off. It is advisable for a homeowner to also turn off the gas supply line immediately and to leave the building.
A hissing or whistling sound coming from near appliances or pipes is a sign of a gas leak. A homeowner may hear gas leaking from loose connections. If a person hears a faint hiss or whistle that has never been heard before, walking around the house and listening for a change in volume is advisable. When the sound gets louder, it is an indicator that a person is closer to the possible leak. Gas usually makes a hiss or whistles when escaping from a tight space. This means not all leaks will make a noise.
Sometimes, a leak in a gas pipe can cause bubbling in moist areas around the house. A gas leak may cause debris or dirt to be thrown into the air. It can also cause plants or vegetation to be blown as if by a breeze. In some cases, the air coming from the ground near a house can be a sign of a gas leak.
To make sure you live safely using natural gas in your house, you should be aware of the signs of a gas leak. You should always keep an eye out for any subtle signs of gas around you. You should never ignore even the smallest indications of natural gas in your home. If you suspect a gas leak, you should not touch electrical appliances or turn on anything that may cause a fire. Instead, you should leave the building, ensure that the door is left open, and go to a safe location before contacting someone to repair the leak.