Carbon monoxide detection is critical for the health and safety of your family. It is essential that everyone have carbon monoxide detectors installed in their home to ensure that poison is not seeping into the air that your family breathes. Until this check occurs, it is important to be aware of the signs that this gas is in the home. These include people having the following symptoms:
- Passing out
- Being confused
- Blurry vision
If anyone in the family has the symptoms it is important for everyone to step outside immediately and begin to breathe the fresh air. If the symptoms are from carbon monoxide poisoning, they should begin to fade after being outdoors. It is important to not return inside until the home has been completely aired out and the source of the poison gas identified. This is especially important for children who are likely to suffer more extreme consequences of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Some homes are more dangerous than others
Any home that uses gas to power appliances; a water heater; or a heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) unit is more likely to have carbon monoxide in it. When the fuel burns, carbon monoxide can be the result. It is important for homeowners to be aware of this possibility so that the installation of the proper detectors takes place.
It is better to be safe than sorry
It is simply better to have detectors installed and to be aware of an issue before it becomes a problem. Being poisoned by this gas can have serious health consequences so taking these precautions is wise. Fortunately, detectors work incredibly well as long as they are installed properly, something that we can handle. It is also important to note that traditional smoke detectors do not detect carbon monoxide gas, so if these are already in the home, that is not good enough.
The proper placement is essential
For carbon monoxide detection to be the most effective, detectors need to be around 5 feet from the floor. They should be on every level of the house and near every bedroom. This provides the best possibility of detection and of anyone in the home hearing the alarms after they go off.
Types of detectors
It is possible to install a combined detector that can detect both smoke and carbon monoxide. Otherwise, we can install systems that detect carbon monoxide only. These can be battery-operated or hardwired into the home's electrical system. Hardwiring is the best option because it ensures that they are going to be long-lasting and work as long as there is power. Otherwise, homeowners must remember to regularly check and change the batteries. Even though the detector should beep if the battery is low, sometimes they do not, or busy homeowners simply miss the alarm. For anyone who has concerns about that risk, having a technician connect the detectors into the home's electrical system is smart.
Protect yourself and protect your family
If you have concerns regarding carbon monoxide in your home set up an appointment to have someone come out and install detectors. Carbon monoxide detection could protect you and your family from suffering a variety of health problems or even death. Do not delay in having this lifesaving feature installed in your home.